The upcoming Dreams game by Media Molecule is looking to shape up like a mature, 3D LittleBigPlanet. A good part of this game is the editor mode and the video below shows the Media Molecule people demonstrating all the features packed in the music making section.
You can go from picking a ready made song as your level’s soundtrack to getting into the nitty gritty of sound design and composition. Dreams features an entire suite of music making components, with some very innovative ideas.
Here’s some of the features demonstrated by Media Molecule’s audio team:
- Pick a track from the community as your game’s soundtrack
- Use premade clips to arrange a new composition in a timeline
- Use gesture controls on a 2d canvas to record new clips
- Piano roll editor for further editing a recorded performance
- Design and publish instruments with a lot of configuration options (ADSR, FX, Pitch)
- Record, trim and edit your own samples in a full-fledged editor
- Import your own audio into the game
- Apply effects across the entire timeline
- Have your music track interact with the game’s logic
Watch the video:
This looks like a highly flexible and sophisticated tool to compose music with (within the Dreams universe). Add the game’s VR support and you’ll have a direct competitor for Nintendo Switch’s Korg Gadget.
Let’s hope we don’t have to wait for too long before this game is released.